Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Redondo Harbor Beach, Madrona, Wilderness Park, So. Coast Botanical Garden

What a day!  Such a productive birding.

HB, not much, like one per species, but quality wasn't bad at all lol.

Kestrel on a high pole on the way to Harbor(parked the car way beyond lol), Yellow Rumped Warbler, Brown Pelican, Kingfisher!, Grebe or Loon, Cormorant? Cave Swallows?! After consulting NG..sure looks like one, with a brownish chin?  House Finch?

Plenty of European Sterlings though? Seeing them quite a lot in a couple of days, I don't think I've seen them before. Maybe they appear from March around here..actually a small book I found at SCBG store says so!

Madrona;

Verra good, a must visit.

American Goldfinch(probably my 1st!), lots of Northern Flickers, Cassin's Kingbird, Bushtit, Red tailed Hawk, Pipit?,  flying Kildeer, Western Bluebird or American Robin lol, and my 2nd sighting of Cedar Waxwings after Big Morongo! There were like 3 of them, possibly more.  White and Golden Crowned Sparrows(they spotted Song but I couldn't?), Cal. Towhee, Red winged Blackbirds at weeds as usual, Shoveler, Cinnamon Teal, Widgeons, Coots and Mallards as usual..Blk Phoebe, Raven/Crows..quite productive.

By 10:30 became too hungry so quit lol. Later did come back to attend the lecture by Garrett.

Wilderness Park was a bit of a disappointment.

SCBG

Verra good. Riots of birdsongs, couldn't see much though. Mockingbirds and House Finches? at Cactuses,
Yellow Warbler(my 1st?)? and Lesser Goldfinch(my first?)? at Fountains, think I saw Common Yellowthroat too(my first). Those fountains really helps, otherwise I'm not sure I could've spotted those ones!
Lake was unfinished or dry though.  Still, comparable to San Diego and Arboretum.  Wonder how good Rancho Ana one would be!

No comments:

Post a Comment