Monday, October 2, 2017

'Cardinal Sin' of Tracy Drake

This is of course a joke post :D

Of course we all should be extremely thankful to her. Maybe she deserve free lunch/dinner till the rest of the year lol. I mean even Kimball Garrett added the bird to his formidable LA county list(according to him, 1st record of this Dusky Warbler, palearctic species). Even opened the preserve from 7am today for our benefit.

That said. :P

Did she post the sighting at LACOBIRD in the EVENING? When she spotted the bird in the MORNING?

Unforgivable! Haha.
I mean we all know this leaf? warbler is a MEGA rarity. My breeding plumage male Cape May Warbler at Formosa Slough last June can't even compare.
So, upon sighting, she should've immediately contacted and posted info everywhere. I trust she has smartphone.
If in doubt, she should've just posted phylloscopus sp. or something at ebird and LACOBIRD, etc., and left it at that. Veterans and experts including twitchers/listers would've have arrived sooner or later to verify it. No need to confirm the exact species with an expert(Dan Cooper?) before posting, you could always do it later.

Even a smartphoneless moi, even though I did finish birding North Famosa as well lol, after spotting Cape May Warbler at 5:30pm(already quite dark), trudged to nearby Starbucks to email veterans and experts including Guy McCaskie, Kimball Garrett, Gary Nunn, Darren Dowell, Mark Scheel etc. Texted Luke Tiller on the way to SB(yeah I at least can text on my phone lol). Mine was a straightforward case in terms of identification though.

Thankfully the bird cooperated nicely, at least for a couple of days, and was being 'mobbed', from what I've heard lol. As far as I know, according to ebird, it wasn't seen today(thank God I braved despite a busy schedule to come by last morning lol. Thanks to others could spot it quick, and after a de rigeur Hurrah! promptly vacated the spot for other birders).

Not only this, did Sarah wait, what, more than 3 hours for the preserve to open on that Sunday, for an Ovenbird? OVEN, another rarity. Surprisingly still there I'm heard, but super elusive.  Maybe she was overeager to come so early lol, like 6:30am, but..haha(we both missed the bird, by the way. After a few more tries, I still haven't seen it, to my utter frustration. Should I even try once more lol).

So everyone, please don't be shy in case you spotted a weird looking bird. Please share promptly :p  (I know I'm a mere novice, maybe not my place to make a 'brazen' advice like this, but still this was quite an 'egregious' case!)

No comments:

Post a Comment