Monday, October 2, 2017

My record] I'm afraid of Chris Dean...!

Another joke post :)

For sure Chris is a helluva birder, and she really has sharp eyes for warblers; thanks to her we spotted Prairie Warbler at Madrona, and Black-throated Blue Warbler at Descanso last year. Especially BTBW was so hard to spot, the lighting being atrocious; dunno how she spotted it in the first place!

Now she's racking up the birds impressively, with relentless pace lol. The pace is just astounding! 'My place' at around 47th with 365 species(tied with Howard King and Luke Tiller, both experts, I'm not worthy lol) is threatened! She's now at 360! I'm feeling the heat here lol. Another veteran birder Judy Hwa(thanks to her could spot Bobolink last year, she kindly showed me the grassy spot at North End of Peck Pit; you have to wade into the dense canopy/grasses! Now it's inundated methinks?) is right behind her.
Chris might have a good chance against the perennial Wrentit Club top lister Mark Scheel this year lol.

It's really too bad I couldn't make another Pelagic trip, since Pasadena 8-hour one just recently was a huge success. And while Chris was repeatedly birding Piute...I was just too lazy, or too cost-conscious lol(gas of course!).

I told Luke I was both birder/lister lol, but after spotting 333 species in LA county last year, the 'ardor' has a bit died lol. Now a bit more relaxing! 'No pressure' more leisurely birding, etc.

 Still already surpassed my last year's total bird list of 359; already 372 for the year thanks to Eastern birding this Spring(Nashville, Rome area at Georgia, Oklahoma City/Norman,  all 3 areas for 2-3 days each. Had to watch NCAA women tennis regionals so had only limited window, early in the morning about 2 hours each day).

I'm now aiming for 400 So. Cal species; currently 396 now, thanks to Painted Bunting(SD), Dusky Warbler and Tricolored Heron. Hopefully I can spot more at SD this month: visiting a couple of weeks later.

No comments:

Post a Comment