Monday, October 2, 2017

Bolsa Chica some pics

Had a blast chatting with birders, showing them the resting faraway(tragically. I was told it flew 'away' like 2 minutes before I arrived, ugh) Tricolored Heron on my scope(I was the only one carrying today), etc.
Too bad I missed Yellow-crowned Night-Heron, but it's ok, I saw that one by now quite a lot(for example recently at SD), and Tricolored Heron was the target species, so..
After this rare Heron, and Dusky Warbler yesterday, 396 species for So. Cal. 400 milestone is near!

Not much, most of the shorebirds were resting far away, since it was High tide(why do I always arrive at high tide, but what can I do, have to beat the traffic..). 20 or something Common Terns made a surprise appearance just before noon, when I was heading back.
All in all, spotted around 40 species.

After 3 hours there, didn't have the energy to bird elsehwere. I guess it was all the better since Dusky Warbler wasn't reported Madrona, and neither was Grasshopper sparrow at Peck Pit(Bobolink was spotted there though, today, by that indefatigable Chris Dean, along with veteran Judy Hwa. But Chris says Tom Wurster spotted it).

I do want to spot Dunlin and Pectoral Sandpiper though(LA river and Piute. Could it be at Sepulveda Basin Wildlife Reserve? That's the closest birding hotspot to Riviera..). Maybe I missed the chance to see Solitary Sandpiper..too bad.

 Tricolored Heron; digiscoped, I tried

 Not sure what this is; annoyingly dived incessantly; Redhead?
 Gorgeous Reddish Egret
 Blue-winged Teal, note the white 'crescent' on its fore-face
 Least Sandpiper
 Western Sandpiper
 Common Terns. See the black carpal(shoulder) bar?
 Find Red Knot among Black-bellied Plovers!
Find Common Tern among Elegant Terns(yellow and longer bill, long back hair, 60-70s style)!



No comments:

Post a Comment