Sunday, May 7, 2017

Pt. Dume/Zuma beach/Leo Carrillo SP/lower Zuma Canyon birding

Pt. Dume to Leo Carrillo State Beach to Zuma Beach(next to Pt. Dume) and Lower Canyon.
Failed attempts to spot those mega rarities like Ruff(Pt. Dume/Zuma Beach).

To my regret I skipped the seabird watching trip at Leo Carrillo led by Jon Feenstra, and went straight to Pt. Dume to find that Ruff. Already met a birder on the way to the point, who was returning; he couldn't find it, and I should've heeded his report and went straight to Leo Carrillo.

Instead, foolishly scrambled up and down those slopes to inspect both sides of the Dume, to no avail. South side, just 3 Whimbrels and a couple of Black Phoebes, other than the gulls.
Then went to the other north side, and scanned the beach below with my bino and scope; no luck either.

So drove to Leo Carrillo, and the members were nowhere to be seen lol. Found some Bonaparte's Gulls and Mallards with ducklings. Cliff's Swallows were flying low beneath the bridge. But no actual members! Further north found some Seals lounging on a rock with Double-crested Cormorants.

So, went to Starbucks to check up on the various websites to see if others found Ruff and Hooded Warbler, and they were there! The Gillilands, Ron Cyger, Wendy(dunno the last name).

And Jon Feenstra.

LA county 'power ranking' from ebird;

Top eBirders

Updated ~10 hr(s) ago.
1Kimball Garrett

513
2Jonathan Feenstra

481
3Jean Brandt

477
4Mike San Miguel

465
5Wanda Dameron

463
6David Bell

460
7Mark Scheel

455
8Frank Gilliland

440
9John Garrett

438
10Janet Scheel

434
48You

360

Not sure I've seen him before, but was shocked to discover him so young! I was thinking a 'venerable sage' like Frank Gilliland right there..haha(mentioned this to the laughter of all members).

Chatted with him during the drive to and fro to lower Zuma Canyon, and he has been birding for 25 years! Was at Cape May as well(working?). Now at Wings(I do think I checked his blog or something).
Told me it would typically take a week to experience those songbirds 'Windfalls' during migration. And I thought I could just experience it as soon as I arrived at Magee Marsh or Point Pelee!
That Ruff was a real lucky one since it typically occurs at rivers(Santa Ana river at Yorba Linda) or habitats like Piute, NOT on the shore.

Thanks to him spotted a Red-necked Phalarope at Zuma Beach(where I accidentally rejoined them after they 'abandoned' me at Starbucks!  Not only Kowa, everybody were using Gitzo tripod; Susan told me it's very expensive, and indeed it is), and we also birded lower Zuma Canyon to spot that Hooded Warbler(other birders were there as well), to no avail.
Did not know that horses are afraid of umbrellas, you learn new things every day!

Still a good experience birding with an expert like him(he was a powerful pisher!). A memorable day for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment