Sunday, May 3, 2015

05/02 Piute Ponds area

PP area was huge! Quite productive for me, seeing some birds for the 1st time. For example Yellow-Headed Blackbird, Dunlins?  Avocets were aplenty, and other shorebirds like Sandpipers as well. Spotted some Plovers too. Tanagers as well, also at Apollo.
Others spotted Burrowing Owls, Le Conte's Thrasher, not me, ugh. Hermit Thrush, Black Chinned Sparrow were also reported. Oh the 1st bird we spotted..was an Acorn Woodpecker, incredulous lol, founding a montane bird at a desert!

On to Lancaster Sewage pond; More of a Lake! Huge as well. The aroma and wind were so strong! Lol. 1st time spotting White winged Scoter, also Bonaparte and Franklin's Gull(difficult to differentiate between those two?), in fact I did take a photo of B or F at Piute. Was the all white one a Female or of a different plumage.

Apollo entrance said it was closed, but thankfully it was not. This was also quite huge, and we birders scoured the perimeters ignoring the Lake lol, just like at Santee. Female Black Headed Grosbeak, Wilson's and Yello Rumped Warbler, Western Tanagers, Warbling Vireo(not me), Yellow or Nashville(How could that Chinese woman even spot those, I just had to marvel lol, she even guided the bird leader on those elusive perching birds!) Warbler, Baby Kildeer, Bell's Sparrow(my first?), Cassin's Vireo(not me?), Gray Flycatcher(did I see this?), Fox Sparrow..was too exhausted at the end lol, came back alone, returning via Angeles Forest Hwy route.

No comments:

Post a Comment